Your body is made up of more than 500 muscles. They let you breathe, run, walk, sit and do many other things. Important to know: One-third of all muscles affect the spine in one way or another. That's why regular muscle training is so necessary:
You should know these two muscle types
It should be clear to everyone that our muscles differ in shape and length. The most significant muscle by volume is the gluteus maximus; the smallest is the stapes muscle in the inner ear. What some may not know is that the inner workings of the muscles also differ. This is because there are two different types of muscle fibers:
- The tiny and slow-reacting muscle fibers look red under the electron microscope. They are persistent and active almost around the clock.
- The large and fast-acting muscle fibers are white in color, contract quickly, and develop strong forces.
Training according to muscle fiber types
It is essential to train both types of muscle fiber, not only for back health but also for general fitness and well-being. However, they each need completely different stimuli to activate and strengthen them. Beginners and those who have not exercised for a long time build up the red and slow-reacting muscle fibers first. After two to three months of regular training, you can then also train the fast muscle fibers.
The right muscle training for beginners
As a beginner or returning athlete, you should initially only train the slow red muscle fibers. It is ideal for strengthening the large muscle groups in every training session. It is essential to perform the exercises relatively slowly and in a controlled manner. And this is what your muscle training could look like:
- For each exercise you do 3 x 15 repetitions with 30 to 60 seconds rest in between.
- Die Intensität ist richtig, wenn Dir die letzten drei Wiederholungen bei korrekter Übungsausführung schwer fallen.
- Two to three training sessions are ideal, with at least one day's rest in between.
- In the photo gallery you will find exercise suggestions:
The right muscle training for advanced
After two to three months of regular training, you can also train the white and fast muscle fibers. You should choose more exercises and also work with weights or resistance bands. The last two to three repetitions should be difficult for you. Good to know here: You can again do the exercises a little faster, but always with the correct technique. Your training could look like this:
- You do 2 to 3 times 8 to 10 repetitions with 60 to 90 seconds rest in between.
- Continue to train at least twice a week, better even three to four times.
- You should warm up for a few minutes before training. You can find many suitable videos on YouTube.
Extra tip: You can find many free fitness programmes for beginners and advanced users under fitnessblender.com oder Heather Robertson on YouTube. fitnessblender.comWhen you are well trained, you can have a look at Heather Roberston vorbeischauen.